Thursday, July 26, 2012

Vibrations

Today's lecture in Physics class was about sound waves.  What should have only of lasted one lecture, lasted three, because my teacher seems to go on a tantrum about one thing or another every five minutes.

The main concept he was trying to teach today was about interference: constructive, destructive and then most importantly, resonance.  John Graham states that "resonance is the dramatic amplification of vibrational amplitude due to a for vibrating an object at its characteristic frequency." He just explains that when two objects are vibrating in the same frequency, it can create resonance.  This is unlike complete constructive interference where two waves heading towards each other just pass through unaffected and in complete destructive interference, when two waves of opposite (i.e. positive and negative) amplitude pass through each other, they wipe each other out, the waves disappear.

Resonance is fascinating though.  This is how the opera singer breaks a wine glass, how we get sound out of an organ pipe, how we can broadcast onto the radio, etc.  Graham even showed us a video of a bridge that collapsed in Tacoma due to the sound waves created by the wind resonating with the structure of the bridge.  Check it out, here is a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Fi1VcbpAI

Later today, I decided to read the chapter about Quantum Physics by Carol Davis in her book "Complementary Therapies in Rehabilitation; Evidence for Efficacy in Therapy, Prevention and Wellness."  This particular aspect of Quantum physics had to do with the The Zero Point Field theory about the empty space around us, which we call space or air which is. in fact, is full of energy.  For example, when I try a boulder problem, sometimes I climb harder than I am normally capable of.  I almost on sighted Junior's Achievement in my work clothes one day.  I went back to that same problem a month later, and couldn't even get off the ground.

The Zero Point Field argues that we can get energy from the space around us.  My favorite explanation is "this subtle energy matrix that surrounds us, which we move about in, much like the water that surrounds swimming fish, influences our physiological and biological systems in ways that are just beginning to be understood.  It all has to do with the science of bioenergetics and vibrations" (Davis). The book also cites a study done by A.V. Hill (Nobel Prize physiologist and biophysicist) and D.R. Wilkie who proved that "the amount of energy that is needed to drive muscle contraction exceeds the amount of energy produced by the mitochondria."(Davis).

Imagine everyone in the world vibrating, producing waves.  We all have these vibrations coming out of us.  Sometimes when they interact with other vibrations, they are complete destructive interference, canceling eachother out.  These are people who just completely turn you off.  Dont want to be around them, dont want to talk to them.  Sometimes its unexplainable why I or you or anyone would feel this way.  its just how it is.  Most of the time, vibrations between people are complete constructive interference...  meaning that what we say to each other doesnt really stick with us.  We leave the conversation or interactions more or less unaltered.  I would consider these friends and acquaintances   But in some rare occasions (like when the tacoma bridge resonated with the 40 mph wind), resonance happens!

So this proves that I, by myself, do not have the capabilities to climb Junior's Achievement on my own.  It was the vibrating crowd of people resonating with me that day and the energy  in the Zero Point Field  gave me the moment of lightlessness and energy to send (well, get off the ground) a normally impossible problem.  I dont know if anyone reading this has been to the Buttermilks, but the place is magical.  The zero point energy is on High there!

New vibrations are passing through me everyday in North Carolina.  I've been able to tap into the Zero Point Field once again  and have found other people that resonate with me. I finally got a 5.12 clean this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment